Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Review of Hermes Fortune Tarot Deck



Review of Hermes Fortune Tarot Deck 

This is my first deck that I bought. It came with its guide book.  The cards are not big, easy to handle and to shuffle. The pictures in the tarot cards are more less have the same description or meaning as the Waite Rider tarot deck, but in modern style. But there is one card that has very different picture (thus meanings of course) than the standard Waite Rider; which is 9 cups (you can see for yourself in the pictures).



 What I appreciate about this deck is it has pictures in its minor arcana cards, hence this cards is suitable for beginners. The price when I bought this deck was very affordable (125.000 IDR) and easy to get (in Gramedia book store). The weakness, well maybe the dark background of the card it is kind a frightening for some of my clients. I have to explain to my clients that the cards are not spooky at all, just the black background that give that impressions. One more thing, the cards in the box are not well tied. When I opened the box, the cards were spread all over the box and I had the difficulty to arrange the cards in orderly manner because I was really new to tarot.

 Now about the book that comes with the deck (well actually it’s the deck that comes with the book). The “tarot guide book” is a very serious book not just a small booklet, which makes buying this tarot deck very worthy. But, I was a novice when I bought this deck and the book doesn’t give the thorough basic explanation about the “composition” of tarot cards (22 major arcana cards, 56 minor arcana cards; suit of cups, wands, swords and pentacles) and what they symbolize in briefly manner. 

This book surely gives complete explanation about the meanings of each card, but if you are very new to tarot and don’t know yet what is arcana and minor arcana, what is wands, cups, swords, pentacles, why there is a page, knight, queen and king, etc. you will get lost easily. As a beginner if you see long explanation about the meanings of the tarot cards that seem general and kind a similar one from another (sorry this is my first impression) you will feel discouraged to learn the tarot. But when I’m getting expert on tarot and I looked again the book, actually the meanings given in the book are ok. It does give good advices.



Actually, I’m not fan of the guide books that accompany the tarot decks (in any tarot decks) because I never feel in tune with the meanings written in it. So I prefer searching the meanings of tarot in some internet sites that suit me well.

But this Hermes tarot guide book tell also the journey and experiences of Hermes itself as a tarot reader which is very interesting and he does give good tips about being a good reader.


Final remark; do I like this deck? Yes, I love it. I have good affinity with this deck. It surprise me until now that when I read my clients (my friends), this cards (in spreads of course) can really describe the personality, the problems and the conditions of my clients very well. Even my clients admitted it.  So, Hermes Fortune Tarot Deck indeed a good tarot deck.

Please check a video review about this deck :






No comments:

Post a Comment